Monday, October 1, 2007

The Georgann Bag

I have been crocheting since I was 5 years old. When I first learned all I could do was make a chain. I remember carrying this chain around, it had to be 20 or 25 feet long. I carried that thing around so proud of my work. The funniest part was I did not know how to end my work so I carried it around still attached to the skein of Redheart yarn. My mom was the person who taught me to crochet so it only made sense to name my first crochet pattern after her. So I bring to you The Georgann Bag. If anyone makes this bag please send me a picture of your completed bag with the details of the yarn you used.

$4.50

Materials:

4 balls or 284 yards of Rowan Cotton Tape (Rowan Cotton Tape has been discontinued).

Yarn Substitutes: Rowan Cotton Braid, Rowan Holiday, Rowan Cotton Rope, Crystal Palace (Puffin Solid, Cameo Solie, Summer Net and Deco Ribbon).

Size H 8/5.oo mm crochet hook

Optional:
  • Fabric to line your bag
  • Button or snap closure
  • Decorative pin to embellish your bag. (Flower was purchased at JoAnn's)
  • You may single crochet your bag together or whip stitch it together with a yarn needle.
Measurements: 12 inches wide at the top, 9 inches wide at the bottom and 8 inches tall.

Gauge: 3.5 stitches/4 rows per inch.

I lined my bag as you can see in the picture to the left. I used fat quarters that I purchased at JoAnn fabrics. I also used Therm O Web instead of breaking out the sewing machine. I do have a sewing machine but I couldn't find any of my bobbins. I figured I would try the Therm O Web and see what happened. It held up great. I have used it on several bags after making this one. I kind of like instant gratification and it would have probably taken me as long to thread my machine as it did to make the bag. OK, I may be exaggerating a little. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the pattern. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 comment:

Karen Lynn Wiebusch said...

This is a beautiful purse! Love the color and embellishment.