Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Christmas Knits Continued

This is a pattern that I came up with last year. The cabled purse was a big thing last year and knitted and crocheted bags are still every where this year. This is a really quick knit. They are good for ladies of almost any age. Every year there is always an unexpected guest that shows up and I panic because I like to give everyone a little something. This was my answer. I knit a couple extra of these each year and if any unexpected ladies show up, I have a handmade gift for them. I hope you enjoy the pattern. Let me know if you have any questions.











Bag:

Cast on 50 stitches.

Row 1:(WS) K3, P2, *K3, P6, K3, P2*,
Repeat from * to * 2 times to the last

3 stitches, K3.

Row 2:(RS) P3, K2, *P3, K6, P3, K2*,
Repeat from * to * 2 times to the last

3 stitches, P3.

Row 3: Repeat row 1.

Row 4: Repeat row 2.

Row 5: Repeat row 1.

Row 6: P3, K2, *P3, C6B, P3, K2*, Repeat
from * to * 2 times to the last 3 stitches, P3.

Row 7 – 36: Repeat rows 1 – 6 five more times.

Row 37: Repeat row 1.

Row 38: Repeat row 2.

Row 39: Bind off in pattern.

Finishing Bag:

1.
Attach the first handle by whip stitching around the handle through the cast on row.
Please Note: Do not whip stitch first 3 or last 3 stitches to handles.

2. Attach the second handle by whip stitching around the handle through the bind off row.

Please Note: You can line your bag before seaming up the sides or after. This is personal preference only.

3. Fold bag in half and seam up the sides.

4. Line your bag and attach a magnetic or Velcro closure.

5. Cut your ribbon approximately 46 inches long.

Tip: You may want to add fray check to the ends of your ribbon to keep it looking nice.

Weave ribbon behind the K2 stitches on either side of the cable and tie a bow. (You can refer to the picture of the bag for proper placement.)

Copyright 2006, Knittingnonstop. This pattern and pictures are the property of Knittingnonstop. All rights reserved. Pattern is shared for individual personal use only. No commercial reproduction of this bag is allowed without prior written permission.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Super cute bag! I've been looking for something to use my handspun for and this is it!

Sunaina said...

hey this is a super cool bag. I had been looking for a nice cable pattern and this is it. This is going to be my next project. Will post the pic when I am done. Thanx a ton for this lovely pattern

Charente said...

This bag is so beautiful and even a my local handbag shop asked where I got mine, because they would love to have it for sale in the shop. I told them that I had made it myself and I did not intend to make the bag for sale. As I told you I translated the pattern into norwegian and I have also made it without the ribbon but with flap and button for closure. Here is a picture:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QjmLN8GzA28/Sb-CpFeBe_I/AAAAAAAAACo/_eLIVLFHoXA/s1600-h/DSC02430.JPG

Charente said...

Sorry you will find a picture here:

http://charentessalong.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hello!
I just love your bag.. But i m having trouble in reading the pattern. I m french and I m really not used to al those Ks and Ps and Cs... could you come up with a kind of glossary please?

Unknown said...

I love the cabled bag. I think it can easily stand on its own without the bow and ribbon. Does the ribbon serve any purpose beside decoration?

Dawn said...

Thanks Darby,

The ribbon is for decorative purposes only. I like it because I can change it out to match my mood or what I'm wearing.

;o)

Laura K. said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful pattern!

Anonymous said...

What yarn did you use for this and what size needles? I'm trying to get that chunky thread look but the stitching looks tight and nicely compact. Thank you!

MagpieB said...

I LOVE this bag! I can't wait to give it a try. I'm just wondering what size handles you used? I think I'm going to try using the round bamboo handles but there are quite a few sizes offered. Which size did you use?

Tribal-made said...

Super adorable bag!!! I really love it :)

all4eternity said...

Please can you help me? I fell in love with your bag, it's really adorable. I allready finished the knitting part, but can't find anywhere round handles. Took 2 days walking around, checking stores and only handles I found are half round bamboo handles. How to attach those to this bag? Please help!

Maggs said...

I just finished my first bag. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. x

lbaker74 said...

Thanks so much for this pattern. I was looking for something to work on this weekend and I found it. I have some Hometown USA bulky yarn and I am going to try using it for this bag. Thanks again.

Sailing with bare feet said...

This bag is so stinkin cute !!!
Is there a pattern for this for crochet ?



http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

Nic said...

Fell upon this in pinterest. Which lead me to your blog where I see you are expecting twins soon! Congrats and good luck! My twin girls are 9 months now! SO much fun!!
Thanks for the pattern, can't wait to try it!

Modish Port said...

Great blog posts, exclusive deals online for the seasonal discounts up to 90% OFF. Grab this offer this week celebrations of Christmas Day and New Year 2022. So you don’t loose this opportunity for the people. Get online Beaded Handbags for ladies shop online the Special Gifts at Modishport.