Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chevron Blanket (knit version)

Here is another baby blanket pattern. I have made several chevron blankets (crocheted) since I was little but had never made a knit version. I couldn't find any patterns that were knit and baby size, so this is what I came up with. I hope you like it.

Materials:

Needles: US Size 13 (9mm) 24-inch circular
needle .

Yarn:
Color A
2 - Encore Worsted (Color 029)
Color B
2 -Encore Worsted (Color 1201)

1 - Yarn Needle

Gauge: 8 stitches to 12 rows for 4 inches (in pat-tern).
Measurements: 37 inches in width and 34 inches in length

Tip:
Instead of changing color to achieve striping you could hold a solid and a variegated yarn (Encore Colorspun) together for a more subtle striping.

Abbreviations:
K - Knit K2tog - Knit 2 together SL– Slip stitch
PSSO -Pass slip stitch over - You will be passing the previous slip stitch over the knit stitch as if to bind off. This achieves a right slanted decrease.

Holding yarn doubled, with color A, cast on 98.
Row 1: purl row.
Row 2: K1,*(K1, YO, K5, SL- K1- PSSO, K2tog, K5, YO, K1)*, repeat from * to * 6 times, K1.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color A a total of 7 times.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color B 7 times.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color A 7 times.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color B 7 times.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color A 7 times.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 with Color B 6 times
Last row: Bind off.

Finishing: Using your yarn needle hide your ends, wash and block. When blocking lay the blanket out (while still damp), pin the points and allow the blanket to dry. If you crochet you may want to single crochet across each end or around the entire blanket to help the Chevron pattern to lay flat.

If giving this as a gift; be sure to include washing instructions and a little extra yarn just in case the blanket needs mending.

Copyright 2006, Knittingnonstop. This pattern and pictures are the property of Knittingnonstop. All right reserved. No unauthorized reproduction of this pattern is allowed. No commercial reproduction of this blanket is allowed without prior written permission.

5 comments:

amanda said...

Thanks for the pattern! I actually have a few blankets like this from childhood that my grandmother made. It's nice to know where to go if I want to make some :)

Michelle B said...

That is quite cute! I may need one for my niece!

Mom said...

Thank you for posting this pattern. I'm using it to make a wedding gift. I'm using two stands of Simpley Soft in Oceana, Ocean and Pagoda. So far, so good!

Mom said...

Oops, make that Blue Mint instead of Ocean.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this pattern! I'm almost finished with my baby blanket. I used a multi-colored yarn, so I didn't change colors.

I don't know how to finish it up, though. The instructions just say "Bind off." Can you give me some guidance about how to finish the scalloped edge before binding off?